FAQ module icon

Frequently Asked Questions

The material in this question and answer series is for your information only. It is not legal advice and is not designed to be used in place of legal advice. You should consult your own attorney for legal advice. The St. Joseph Legal Department provides this series to provide a general summary of procedures concerning violations of city ordinances in the City of St. Joseph, Missouri. It is issued to inform generally, not to advise of specific rights. As with any general information, the answers given here may not specifically apply to you.
Does the city attorney's office provide legal advice to citizens?
The city attorney's office represents the city of St. Joseph as a public entity. The office does not handle private litigation on behalf of city residents. In other words, the city attorney's office does not handle divorces, child custody issues, wills, adoptions, tenant-landlord problems, personal bankruptcies, collections, etc. Citizens will need to contact a private attorney of their choosing, or, in some instances, may wish to contact the Small Claims Court at 816-271-1456.

Show All Answers

1. Does the city attorney's office provide legal advice to citizens?
2. What does the City Prosecutor do?
3. Will it cost me extra to talk to the City Prosecutor?
4. When the Police Department indicates that it will be referring the case to the City Prosecutor, what steps do I need to take to follow up on the problem and the possibility of charges being filed?
5. What if I hire an attorney to represent me?
6. Who can I talk to about a ticket?
7. Why can't I talk to the City Prosecutor about my ticket over the phone?